Moving forward, we’ll close out every week here at the BizAmmo small business blog with a “small business stories” series. These posts will include a collection of links to blog posts, media stories, and other content we want to recommend. Rather than focus on the newest posts on other sites every week, we’ll focus on specific topics. Some posts will be brand new. Others will be older, but still highly relevant and worth adding to the discussion.
We won’t be sharing our own opinions on most of the issues we highlight. Our goal is to bring you resources on both sides of the issue so you can make more informed decisions by looking at the full picture.
This week let’s look at the minimum wage. You’ve probably seen it all over the news after the President’s proposal to raise the minimum wage to $9.00 per hour.
Here are ten resources on the current minimum wage debate that you should check out.
- How Does the U.S. Minimum Wage Compare to Those Around the World? — by Elias Groll at ForeignPolicy.com
- Rasmussen: 54 Percent Support Obama’s Proposal to Raise Minimum Wage — by Tom Kludt at Talking Points Memo: Livewire
- Minimum Wage and Unemployment — by James Hamilton at EconBrowser.com
- Two Sides of the Minimum Wage Debate: Employer vs Employee — by Kate Rogers at FoxBusiness.com
- Minimum Wage Boost Would Help Women Most — Erika Eichelberger at MotherJones.com
- Obama’s Minimum Wage Hike: A Case of Zombie Economics — by James Dorn at Forbes.com
- A Hike in the Minimum Wage Could be a Huge Boon to Small Businesses — by Walter Hickey at BusinessInsider.com
- The Minimum Wage is Maximum Ignorance — by Charles Wilson at The Commonwealth Times
- Two Observations on the Politics of the Minimum Wage — Paul Krugman at NYTimes.com
- Obama’s Minimum Wage Welfare State — Brandon Crocker at The American Spectator
- The Case for a Higher Minimum Wage — by John Cassidy at NewYorker.com
- Higher Minimum Wage, Higher Unemployment? by Elizabeth MacDonald at FoxBusiness.com
- Why a Hike in the Minimum Wage is Better Than a Hike in the EITC — by Noah Millman at The American Conservative
- Minimum Wage: Who Decided Workers Should Fall Behind? — by Dean Baker at HuffingtonPost.com
- Two Cents on the Minimum Wage — by John Cochrane at The Grumpy Economist
Feel free to weigh in on the issue in the comments (but keep it polite and respectful please). And feel free to post links to other articles you’ve enjoyed on this topic.